Issachar - 9th Son of Jacob to Leah
Jacob's words of blessings:
Genesis 49:14, “Issachar is a strong ass couching down between two burdens.”
- Issachar is likened into a patient ass or donkey who is bearing two burdens which made him couch down.
Genesis 49:15, “And he saw that rest was good, and the land that it was pleasant; and bowed his shoulder to bear, and became a servant unto tribute.”
- This is the secret of the self-sacrificing life of Issachar by showing us his motive that prompted him to carry two burdens.
Titus 2:13, “Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.”
- The Saviour is coming and our rest is eternal rest, in the heavenly land.
Revelation 21:4, "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."
Judges 5:15, “And the princes of Issachar were with Deborah; even Issachar, and also Barak.”
1 Chronicles 12:32, “And of the children of Issachar, which were men that had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do.”
- This tribe represents men who bore heavy responsibilities, pillars in the cause of God.
1 Chronicles 5:1-5, “…valiant men of might.”
Noted character in the Tribe of Issachar:
1. Barak and Deborah -
2. Woman in Shunem - who helped Elisha. She built an extra room and furnished it for him.
Matthew 25:40, “Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”
- Whatever we do to the least of those who are of God, we have done it unto Himself.
Some of the kings of Israel were from the tribe of Issachar:
1. Tola - defended Israel and reigned 23 years - Judges 10:1-2, "And after Abimelech there arose to defend Israel Tola the son of Puah the son of Dodo, a man of Issachar, and he dwelt in Shamir in mount Ephraim. And he judged Israel twenty and three years, and died, and was buried in Shamir.
2. Baasha - 1 Kings 15:27, 33, “And Baasha the son of Ahijah, of the house of Issachar,... In the third year of Asa king of Judah began Baasha the son of Ahijah to reign over all Israel in Tirzah, twenty and four years.”
1 Kings 15:34, "And he did evil in the sight of the LORD, and walked in the way of Jeroboam, and in his sin wherewith he made Israel to sin."
3. Elah - son of Baasha - 1 Kings 16:13 For all the sins of Baasha, and the sins of Elah his son, by which they sinned, and by which they made Israel to sin, in provoking the LORD God of Israel to anger with their vanities.
Unforgettable event of history that happened in the land where Issachar dwelt:
1. Saul consulting to the witch in Endor - 1 Samuel 28:7-25
1 Chronicles 10:13-14, “So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD, even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to inquire of it; And inquired not of the LORD: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse.”
Romans 7:12, "Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.”